My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, December 10, 2005

2 Chronicles 22

King Ahaziah and Queen Athaliah

Summary:
So Ahaziah became king, but only for a year. His mother was Athaliah. He did evil, and allied with Ahab's son, Joram, who got injured in a battle. When Ahaziah visited Joram, he got caught by Jehu, who had killed Ahab's line, and was killed.

Athaliah took power for six years and killed all of the royal family. But Joash, Ahaziah's son, was hidden in the temple during Athaliah's reign.

Key verse:
11. But Jehosheba, the daughter of King Jehoram, took Joash son of Ahaziah and stole him away from among the royal princes who were about to be murdered and put him and his nurse in a bedroom.

My thoughts:
Here's the one and only Queen in Israel's history, however he is evil and is not considered part of the continued monarchy of Judah. The vital point is that Joash was saved. To mix metaphors, David's line has not been extinguished.

I think it's funny that Joash was hidden in the temple. Perhaps the only place Athaliah never really went...

2 Comments:

Blogger OneYearBibleBlog.com said...

Pete - great blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. I've got you bookmarked. I'll be back. If I ever get stumped on something to write on a particular chapter, I'll come back here and see what you've got. :) Great work for the Kingdom here!

Mike

1:54 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

cheers bro,

Mine are somewhat briefer than yours!!

5:42 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home