My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Friday, December 16, 2005

2 Chronicles 28

King Ahaz

Summary:
Ahaz reigned 16 years, and was evil. He worshipped Baals and sacrifices children. So he was given to Aram and Israel to be conquered. Judah suffered bad losses, and Israel took them prisoner, but then a prophet Oded reminded Israel of her sin, and that she ought to give Judah's people back. So they did.

Judah was again in trouble, and Ahaz struggled to gain support from Assyria. Ahaz got worse as he got older.

Hezekiah, his son, succeeded him.

Key verse:
23. he thought, "Since the gods of the kings of Aram have helped them, I will sacrifice to them so they will help me." But they were his downfall and the downfall of all Israel.

My thoughts:
I love all these little forgotten Bible characters. Take Oded for example. He commanded a nation to be just to their enemies, and the nation listened. That's extremely powerful, but no-one remembers Oded.

I might make Oded on of my kid's middle names.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

What about Oded Martin? I'm not sure if Nat & Lachy have chosen a name for our nephew-to-be yet :P

12:46 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

It's supposed to be a middle name

8:03 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home