My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, December 25, 2005

Ezra 1

Cyrus let the Jews go home

Summary:
Cyrus, king of Persia, allowed the Jews to return to their homeland to rebuild their temple. He even gave back all the items of the temple that Babylon had taken. Those who were going to Jerusalem prepared themselves.

Key verse:
2. This is what Cyrus king of Persia says:
'The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and he has appointed me to build a temple for him at Jerusalem in Judah...'

My thoughts:
There are prehaps three truly defining moments in Jewish history. One is the exodus, one is the exile, and prehaps, thirdly, the holocaust, which is not biblical. We never get a true historical description of exile in the Bible. We simply have before and after. They were exiled by the Babylonian Empire, who were subsequently taken over by the Persians, and it is under the Persians that the Jews are allowed to return.

It is a truly defining moment for the Jews. Though the Jews are certainly not perfect after the exile, there seems to be a significant change in their faith afterwards. Whereas previously the Jews had become quite merged with the surrounding nations, and did not follow the faith that they had during the judges, now it seems that there is such a strong identity with being Jewish, and subsequently worshipping Yahweh. This strong identity was made by being forced to preserve it to survive in Babylon.

Things during/after/just before the exile are generally much more historically justified than the things we might accept by faith in the first temple period.



Oh Merry Christmas everyone!! Ezra 1 relates to Jesus' birth because Jesus was born to save God's people from the oppression in a spiritual sense, whereas the Jews were saved from exile in a physical sense. Or something like that...

4 Comments:

Blogger Huggies said...

happy late Christmas Pete...I'm still stoked about my present. heheh "I didn't mean it, don't hurt me!" :)

10:26 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

excellent :D

And for all my avid readers who have noticed the lack in posts, I am starting again tomorrow, and will be doing two a day to catch up. I've just been on a road trip

9:35 pm

 
Blogger Dave said...

aha, you wouldn't expect me to post here, would you? mu ha ha...


furst!

12:12 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

but then again, no-one expects the spanish inquisition!!

12:28 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home