My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, January 21, 2006

Esther 5

Haman makes some gallows

Summary:
Esther went into the king's court, and luckily he held out his scepter to her, and asked her what she wanted. She requested that they have a banquet and Haman be invited.

At the banquet, the king asked what Esther really wanted, but she only asked for another banquet.

Coming home from the banquet, Haman walked past Mordecai and got all snooty. When talking with his friends, it was suggested that he build a massive gallows and in the morning to ask the king that Mordecai be hung on it. He thought it was a good idea.


Key verse:
12-13. I'm the only person Queen Esther invited to accompany the king to the banquet she gave. And she has invited me along with the king tomorrow. But all this gives me no satisfaction as long as I see that Jew Mordecai sitting at the king's gate.

My thoughts:
I think the book of Esther could make quite a cool movie set in a more modern era, like 1930s Germany or something.

Anywho. Esther's an interesting book as far as the Septuagint and things go. The Septuagint version is significantly different, and it's one of the most contested book in the Old Testament Canon. In general it just seems to be written later and in greek much more than other texts. However, it is in our Canon, and we accept it in faith. Despite not mentioning God, it is a true tale of his faithfulness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home