My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Proverbs 31

Mum's words of advice

Summary:
Don't waste your time with women and alcohol. Let the hopeless people get drunk. Always fight for those who can't fight for themselves.

A good wife is so precious, and is appreciated by all. She works hard for her family, and is resourceful. She cares about the poor. She looks after her family and is confident in herself. She is wise and blessed.

She fears God over and above her beauty.

Key verses:
8. Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
30. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

My thoughts:
I think it is one of the highest calls of the Christian, to fight for those who cannot do it for themselves. That is why of all the controversial issues surrounding Christianity, I make no effort to blunten my views in regard to abortion. The unborn are completely defenceless, and no-one will fight their cause if we don't.

And now, the wife of noble character. I think the Bible is often portrayed as sexist, and it does appear that the Bible does make a distinction between the genders in a way that secular society does not want to. I do, however, think that this image of woman in the Bible is a very positive and feminine one, however our society would probably label it as sexist aswell.

I guess I'm not female though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Huggies said...

"I guess I'm not female though."

You guess? Ahhh...shouldn't someone who's looking for seven wives be a little surer on that particular subject?!

5:27 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

yea... I guess so...

Do you know how long I've been trying to kill that whole multiple wives thing... it just refuses to die...

10:07 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you make some good points there. Also it helps me to see it as advice from one older man to a younger one as things to look for in a wife and honour, instead of just something nice to look at. That way her being hard-working and all that isnt sexist but more a virtue to be honoured and sought.
Bro Jim

11:08 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

I cud get myself in so much trouble here... but I won't...

2:38 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home