My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Song of Songs 1

This be sexual speak, yar!

Summary:
Wench:
Aye wishes to be kissed by ye many times. Ye be smelling better than a poop deck on midsummer's eve! Yar! All me fellows wenchs shall rightly dote on ye!

I be dark as new-moon night, but I be not a scurvy-dog! Yargh! Where be yer resting place?

Pirate:
Ye make me 'eart pound like the waves!

Wench:
Ye be better than stolen treasure!

Key verse:
1. Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth

My thoughts:
Song of Songs be seen in many a different light by many a swash-buckling reader! Shiver me timbers! It be a cacophany of views!

But, yargh! The first be first! This be an erotic love poem between a wench and his pirate lover.

I be one scurvy dog who accepts this be interpreted in light of Christ and the Church, but this be not the first interpretation, yar!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

'tis truth, yarr!

6:45 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Yar

7:06 pm

 
Anonymous Deane said...

Pete:
"I be one scurvy dog who accepts this be interpreted in light of Christ and the Church"


Song of Solomon refers to Christ and the Church? Who in the Church did Jesus treat like that? Well, some folk do say that Jesus was having sex with Mary Magdalene, so maybe the Song of Solomon can be applied to Jesus. But, I really don't know why you'd want to make such an interpretation, Pete ...

On the other hand, your pirate interpretation has some legs. Sea legs, that is. Ha. I crack me up.

8:30 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Your statement "Who in the Church did Jesus treat like that?" shows that you don't really understand the analogy.

It's not about how Jesus treated people, but the relationship between Jesus and the Church, not its members. It is drawing on imagery of the Church as Christ's bride, and then seeing Song of Songs as a good biblical example of that love that comes in marriage. (or just before marriage, as seems to be the case in SoS)

8:53 pm

 
Anonymous Deane said...

Pete:
Your statement "Who in the Church did Jesus treat like that?" shows that you don't really understand the analogy.


Hmmmmm... or ... I might have been taking the micky out of making fanciful analogies between Song of Solomon and Christ and the Church ... come on, Pete of Clairvaux, have a wee smile :-)

10:47 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Gosh!

9:52 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home