My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, October 01, 2006

Isaiah 5

The bad vineyard

My thoughts:
Let me sing about a man and his vineyard. He looked after it carefully, and spent a lot on it, but it still produce crap fruit. The man then declared his intention to destroy the vineyard.

But this vineyard isn't just a vineyard. It's you Israel. It's you.

God hates people who build up mansions. They'll be destroyed. The fields will have little produce. Exile will come because of hedonism! Death will come to you all! Humankind will be humbled, but God will be glorified.

Don't try to rush God's plans! Don't misplace evil for good! Or else God will destroy.

God had put a homing beacon on Israel, so that all the missles of the other countries don't miss! Your land will be darkened.

Key verse:
4. What more could have been done for my vineyard
than I have done for it?
When I looked for good grapes,
why did it yield only bad?

My thoughts:
The vineyard is a common image for Israel, usually to express the care God has taken over Israel, but the lack of fruit Israel has produced. A similar image is used in Matt 21:33-41.

3 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

Hey! You have no idea who I am, but I thought I'd say hi.

Not many people seem to comment on your blog, but I just wanted to tell you how FANTASTIC it is. I'm a college student in an intro to the bible class, and we are supposed to know MASSIVE amounts of information. So even though I do all the reading, I have a really hard time synthesizing it for papers and exams. Anyway, your summaries, and even your key phrases and thoughts, are absolutely perfect for studying. They're short, fun to read, and easy to understand.

So I just wanted to say thank you!! so much for doing what you're doing because its an absolute God send.

Cheers!

4:06 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

haha! Fantastic! Nice to know that someone's finding it useful! Have you looked at many chapters? Do you have a blog yourself or anything?

5:46 pm

 
Blogger sophie said...

I don't have a blog, sorry. I've looked through the first part of Isaiah, a lot of Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Job.

6:20 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home