My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Monday, October 02, 2006

Isaiah 6

My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do!

Summary:
I, Isaiah, saw God on his throne, surrounded by his angels. His train was massive. I suddenly felt very inadequate, but an angel burnt my sins away.

God was looking for someone to send to the world, so I offered my services. God told me to go blind Israel until they were destroyed. Only a tenth will be left.

Key verse:
1. I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple.

8. Here am I. Send me!

My thoughts:
This isolated chapter is quite apocolyptic, and I find it interesting that this apocolyptic chapters sits within a book that is not apocolyptic. I tend towards the belief that apocolyptic literature is derived from the similarity of people's experience of the heavenlies, and not just a written genre. The fact that this chapter is consistent with apocolyptic literature and with the rest of the book indicates to me that this is a genuine experience rather than the author trying to fit a genre.

Also of note in this chapter is God's majesty and sheer massiveness, and also Isaiah's willingness to be sent. Go and do likewise!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Last!

10:06 pm

 
Blogger Dave said...

old!

5:10 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

First!

5:30 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home