My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Isaiah 42

Good News

Summary:
I love my servant, says God. He'll have the Spirit, and he'll bring justice gently. God has called him, and will lead him to be a light to the nations and set people free. God is god alone.

Praise God, all you islands.

God has been inactive for a while, but he'll move mountains to may your way straight, and to enlighten your path.

God has declared his word clearly, yet we have been deaf to it. God will punish us if we do not listen.

Key verses:
3. A bruised reed he will not break
6-7. I will keep you and will make you
to be a covenant for the people
and a light for the Gentiles,
to open eyes that are blind,
to free captives from prison

My thoughts:
It appears that a lot of Messianic expectation in Jesus' time was for a leader to rule and give autonomy back to the Israelite state through force. If this passage it to be used to understand such a Messiah, we see that there was to be no force or violence, just like Jesus (with the exception of this temple hissy-fit). The life of Jesus is very congruent with verses 6 and 7 here.

I like Isaiah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home