My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Isaiah 49

Servant to the Gentiles

Summary:
I am the servant. I was called before I was born. He sharpened me like his favourite weapon. I am to gather Israel back to him. But then God decided that Israel was not enough, I will be a light to the Gentiles! Kings will bow to me - a servant.

God will restore Israel in his own time. Everything will be sweet. Sing for praise to God! Israel has not been forgotten! How can a mother forget its child? Everything will be sweet. There'll be heaps of room to live. God will call out to the Gentiles, and they will bring back your children in their arms and look after them. Your captors will get their just desserts.

Key verse:
6. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.

My thoughts:
I dunno about you, but for me this is undeniably Jesus. Called before birth; mouth like a sharpened sword; a servant; and a light to the Gentiles. As I read this, it said that the servant was to bring back Israel, and I thought, well that doesn't entirely describe Jesus, maybe it's only referring to some event to end the exile. But then in the very next verse, God declared that just Israel was not enough. The Gentiles would be saved as well. I love Isaiah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home