My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Isaiah 57

Rest

Summary:
Good men die. Why? To avoid this world's evil. They are taken into rest.

But you sinners! You're a bunch of child-sacrificing liars! You love your pagan symbols and idols. You did sinful things and were wearied by them. Even your good deeds are worth nothing. Peace comes to those who rest in me.

I look after those in low spirits. I make their paths straight. I won't be angry forever. I won't completely destroy that breath of life I made. I will comfort them.

There is no peace for the wicked.

Key verse:
21. "There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."

My thoughts:
What a wonderful quote. I think it captures the self infliction of sin quite well, but in a subtle way. God doesn't say there is no wealth or success for the wicked. Just no peace.

Anywho, normally in the Bible, the author bemoans the premature death of the righteous people as a complaint against God. This may be the only place where the Old Testament attempts to present a clear answer. The answer here is along the New Testament lines of "those who are punished now will receive their reward in heaven". Or something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home