My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, November 23, 2006

Isaiah 58

God's fast

Summary:
Shout it out. Every day people seem to want to hear me, as if they deserve it. You wonder why you even bother fasting.

But what's the point in a fast when you're still oppressing your workers? You quarrel! You fast for just one day and expect me to move mountains.

Don't I want you to stop injustice? Stop oppression? Isn't that a much better fast? To look after the poor? If you do that then I'll help you. You will be healed. You'll be sweet if you do what I say.

Key verse:
6. Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

My thoughts:
Another of my favourite verses, and pulled apart for me by Mike Pilavachi.

How much of our Christian lives do we spend trying to "please" God with religious activities? We go to church. We pray. We sing songs loudly. Firstly, it's dumb that we're trying to win God's favour, but secondly, as brought out in this chapter, it's dumb that we expect God to love our religious activities when people around us are in suffering. Well, maybe not people around us but people in Africa. Those sort of religious activities are an added bonus once we are doing our part to stop suffering in this world. Not the other way around.

4 Comments:

Blogger Huggies said...

People are suffering around us too. Perhaps in different ways, but still suffering.

Nice wake up call pether. I might steal your post for somethiing later on...do you mind?

7:44 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

That'll be 50c Intellectual property and all that!

People? Suffering? New Zealand? In? Around? Us? Stop with the crazy talk, lady!

Looking forward to meeting Judy?

8:50 pm

 
Blogger Huggies said...

I think I can handle 50c :)

If I thought I'd actually get to meet Judy, I'd be excited. However, previous experience has brought me nothing but disappointment in that respect.

9:04 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Oh ye of little faith...

10:26 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home