My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, November 25, 2006

Isaiah 60

I never liked the Sun anyway...

Summary:
Get up, cos God is shining on you! The rest of the world gets darkness, but you get light. Everyone will come to you, because you will radiate. Like all the animals coming to their nest, the nations will come to you. They will be your servants. The children of those who oppress you now will serve you. Then you will know that it is God who saves you. There will be no violence, and no need for the sun. God will be the light.

When I do this, I'll do it quickly.

Key verse:
19. The sun will no more be your light by day,
nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you,
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,
and your God will be your glory.

My thoughts:
So, I tend to look at these passages as referring to a final eschatological redemption rather than a historical redemption of Israel within current human history. This verse 19 uses similar imagery to Revelation, where there is no need for the sun. Revelation is clearly eschatological.

The final verse of this chapter seems to say how quickly God will do this, but in reality it is saying that when God starts to do this (which may be in the distant future) he will do it quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home