My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, November 26, 2006

Isaiah 61

The year of the Lord's favour

Summary:
God's Spirit has enabled me to spread good news, to set people free, and initiate the year of God's favour. It will bless those who mourn. The city will be rebuilt, and foreigners will do all the work. Shame will be gone.

God loves justice, and he wants our kids to be healthy. I'm stoked, cos God has blessed me well!

Key verse:
1. The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.

My thoughts:
Jesus quoted this about himself (Deane: No he didn't! He was refering to Israel when he quoted this! Not himself!) , which caused people to get angry with him. I think Jesus' overall mission is well defined within (parts of) this chapter.

Some say that the year of the Lord's favour is a reference to the year of Jubilee described in the Torah, which was not commonly practised.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Deane said...

Pete:
" The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor."

Jesus quoted this about himself (Deane: No he didn't! He was refering to Israel when he quoted this! Not himself!)


Deane:
Jesus definitely quoted this about himself, not about Israel.

Context, context, context.

On the one hand, you should appreciate that the original context of Isaiah has nothing to do with Jesus. On the other hand, you should appreciate that that fact does not prevent later people making a *new* interpretation of the text, even applying it to themselves.

And Jesus was in good company in reinterpreting "preaching good news to the poor" as applying to the Messiah. Already at Qumran, the same passage in Isa 61 was reinterpreted to refer to what the Messiah would do. The author of 4Q521 even combines the preaching of good news to the poor (from Isa 61) with "release of captives, giving sight to the blind" (from Ps 146, not from Isa 61), which is the same combination in the later Gospels.

9:19 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

I guess then, my point is that the original interpretation is a lesser interpretation.

5:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home