My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, December 03, 2006

Jeremiah 2

Red God

Summary:
Jeremiah told Israel God's word:
You used to love me and it was all sweet, but now you don't. What did I do wrong? Nothing! You didn't even ask where I was!

Look at the nations. Even they don't trade in their gods like you have! Their gods aren't even real! I'm a living lake, and you have replaced me with a broken well. You're being destroyed because of this. One day you'll realise what you've done. You can't wash off this sin with soap! Don't deny it! You are addicted to your other gods. You set up wood as your father. Why aren't they saving you? Don't point the finger at me. You're like a bride who left her ring behind! Egypt will disappoint you. God has rejected you.

Key verse:
27. They say to wood, 'You are my father,'
and to stone, 'You gave me birth.'
They have turned their backs to me
and not their faces;
yet when they are in trouble, they say,
'Come and save us!'

My thoughts:
Wow... God sounds pissed off... I generally don't like the judgement passages, but for some reason this strikes a chord with me. Maybe it's the sheer hurt that comes across in God's 'voice' as he describes his rejection.

I haven't studied Jeremiah much, but I guess they compare it to the deuteronomistic history because it has the cause-and-effect attitude towards Judah's fall. Be good to God and he'll be good to you.

In the Bible you get two views. One (eg. Job and the Psalms) where hardship is despite of your righteousness, and two where hardship is the result of your unrighteousness. I generally like to read the former more, but as I said, I found myself identifying with God in this chapter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home