My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, December 21, 2006

Jeremiah 20

Always look on the bright side of life

Summary:
The priest, Pashhur, heard Jeremiah and had him beaten and put on stocks. Jeremiah called him names like "Terror on every side" and said he'd be handed over to Babylon to die.

God, you overpowered me and tricked me. I am a joke. I can't keep silent. My 'friends' wait til a weak moment to destroy me.
God, you are a warrior, so those 'friends' will fail. You look at everyone and judge well.

Praise God, but curse me. Curse my birth, and curse those who told of my birth. He should've killed me there and then.

Key verse:
14. Cursed be the day I was born!
May the day my mother bore me not be blessed!

My thoughts:
I see Jeremiah as the prototypical suffering prophet. The prototypical martyr, if you like. Self-sacrifice and martyrdom aren't generally as significant in the Old Testament as they are in the early church, but the concept that the prophets suffered at the hands of their own people was a pervasive concept in early Judaism.

Jeremiah is also clearly depressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home