My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Jeremiah 26

Does anyone called Uriah in the Bible stay alive?

Summary:
God gave Jems a specific message to bring to those who came to God's house. Jems told them to repent, or the temple would die out just like at Shiloh. So the people decided to kill our hero.

He was trialled, and he defended himself by again asking them to repent. They could kill them at their own guilt.

So they changed their mind, and decided that his words were from God. The elders then recognised some scripture which prophesied in accordance with Jeremiah in Jeremiah's support.

Another prophet called Uriah wasn't so lucky, and after fleeing for some time was killed.

Key verse:
23. They brought Uriah out of Egypt and took him to King Jehoiakim, who had him struck down with a sword and his body thrown into the burial place of the common people.

My thoughts:
Hmmm... I wonder if the point of this chapter is that Jeremiah uncompromisingly stood his ground, and the validity of his word was accepted for it. Another prophet, Uriah, fled like a scaredy cat, and paid the price.

I find it interesting that this chapter quotes Micah. I wouldn't have though Jeremiah and Micah would've been written that far apart. I would say something about how this could support an early date for Micah, or the quick recognition of scripture as holy, but I can't be bothered having an argument with Deane, and I'm not pretending that I've actually researched such things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home