My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, December 30, 2006

Jeremiah 29

A letter to Babylon

Summary:
Jeremiah sent a letter to those in exile from Jerusalem. It told them to live well and grow in Babylon, but don't listen to their prophets and sorcerers. After seventy years, God will bring you back, because he has good plans for you. Seek him with everything.

You may think you have a prophet or a Messiah in Babylon, but don't be foolish. God has judged those trying to be like that.

Jeremiah then pointed out a man, Shemaiah, who had informed the priest of Jerusalem that he must humiliate all those appearing as prophets, and that he should do the same to Jeremiah. But Jeremiah prophesied against Shemaiah.

Key verses:
11-13. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

My thoughts:
These verses are clearly referring to modern Pentecostal church-going Christians, declaring that God has a good plan for their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home