My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Jeremiah 5

Reductio ad absurdum

Summary:
God looked to see if there's one honest man in Jerusalem, then he'll save the city. I saw none, but I only looked amongst the fools. So I looked to the leaders, but they were just as bad. They will meet their deserved faith.

God has no reason to forgive you, so you will be destroyed. Your 'prophets' say you're safe, but they're liars. A nation will come and ravage you. God won't destroy us completely though. The remnant will know that God sent us to serve the foreigners, seeing as we loved to serve foreign gods.

"Look at me!" says God, "I'm freaken God! Fear me! I have power over you!" But you're just stubborn. You are evil and deserve punishment. Your prophets lie, and your priests are full of themselves.

Key verse:
29. Should I not punish them for this?"
declares the Lord.
"Should I not avenge myself
on such a nation as this?

My thoughts:
God here is showing Israel's punishment as the most logical option. In this key verse, he shows it by arguing from absurdity. It the logic of this passage, it would be absurd not to punish Israel for their unfaithfulness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home