My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, December 09, 2006

Jeremiah 8

The lying wise

Summary:
The leaders won't get a proper burial.

Normally when someone falls they get up. But Israel chooses to stay down. Everyone does what they want. The animals know what they're supposed to do, but God's people don't.

The wisdom of the wise is pointless. You will be wounded and your plasters won't fix it. You have no shame, and you will have no harvest.

"Let's run to the forts! We're under attack! The enemy is coming! God hates us!"

I'm gutted. God's not saving us. There will be no healing.

Key verse:
8. 'How can you say, "We are wise,
for we have the law of the Lord,"
when actually the lying pen of the scribes
has handled it falsely?

My thoughts:
I wonder if the law we have received has been 'handled falsely'.

2 Comments:

Blogger DeanWest said...

Pete:
I wonder if the law we have received has been 'handled falsely'.

Apparently, before the scribes changed bits, all the Torah said was "Be nice to one another. And always wear a clean pair of underpants."

I can prove all of this using redactional criticism.

11:25 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Heh heh. So I hear!

I think it also said not to step on anyone else's toes lest you curtail their freedom to do anything they please.

Welcome Mr. West. For a while I thought you were the other Deane in sheep's clothing until I checked your profile.

5:52 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home