My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, December 10, 2006

Jeremiah 9

Tears

Summary:
My face is a fountain of tears for my people. I wish I could just leave them. God knows they are liars. Don't trust anyone, because they're all deceivers. God has every right to punish them, and will leave Judah empty.

You are afflicted because of your sin.

Get the professional criers, because we need some serious crying here! We'll have crying lessons. Don't boast in yourself, because God is God, and he loves justice.

You are the nations around you may be physically circumcised, but don't expect that to save you.

Key verse:
25. The days are coming," declares the Lord, "when I will punish all who are circumcised only in the flesh

My thoughts:
It appears from the final verses that it was common in all nations in the Ancient Near East to be circumcised, not just Israel. I think the Philistines (and probably the other sea peoples) were different in that they were probably of a Greek origin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home