My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Jeremiah 32

Faith field

Summary:
Now Jems was stuck in the palace in Jerusalem because the King had put him here because he prophesied against him. God told Jems that his cousin would come and ask him to buy his field, so Jems bought the field, but gave the deed to Baruch and told him to bury it in a jar, because God was going to bring the Jews back to Jerusalem.

Then Jems prayed - "God, you rock, and brought us out of Egypt, then exiled us for our sin. Our final city is about to fall, yet you told me to buy this land."

God replied - "Yea, Israel has screwed up, and they're getting punished for it. But nothing is too hard for me, so I'm going to bring them back here one day and have an everlasting covenant with them. Trade will happen here again!

Key verse:
40. I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

My thoughts:
It's interesting that the term 'Jews' is used here, as this word didn't really become relevant until after the exile. It perhaps points to a later date of authorship for this passage.

Baruch is an interesting character who becomes important in early Jewish thought. The extra-canonical books contains works bearing his name.

This in this chapter is a good example of a physical expression of faith. Jems bought a field on God's word that the Jews would return to the land. A foolish thing to do if God's word was wrong, but Jems had faith in God's word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home