My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jeremiah 41

Johanan! He's a hero!

Summary:
But Ishmael and ten men killed Gedaliah and many Jews and Babylonians. Ishmael even tricked 80 pilgrims coming to Jerusalem and killed 70 of them. 10 got away because of bribery. All the people Ishmael killed were put into a mass grave. Ishmael ruled with an iron fist until one of Gedaliah's advisors, Johanan, formed an army and fought against him. Ishmael managed to get away though.

Then Johanan took all the people with him towards Egypt, for fear of the Babylonians.

Key verse:
9. Now the cistern where he threw all the bodies of the men he had killed along with Gedaliah was the one King Asa had made as part of his defense against Baasha king of Israel. Ishmael son of Nethaniah filled it with the dead.

My thoughts:
Ishmael's exploits have some eerie echoes of the holocaust, as does the book of Esther.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the only place in the Bible where this history is recorded. I don't know if there are any further pieces of evidence extra-biblically.

I'm not quite sure why Johanan is scared of the Babylons. Ishmael was Babylon's enemy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home