My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, January 25, 2007

Lamentations 3

Never-ending compassion

Summary:
I know what suffering is. God has forced me into the darkness. He's fought against me and afflicted my body. I can't escape and he ignores my prayer. He's like an animal waiting to pounce. All my plans are gone. When I remember my hardship, I'm gutted.

But I have hope. God's love doesn't end, and his mercy is new every morning. He is good, and if you wait he will save you. He doesn't reject forever. He brings grief, but shows compassion. You can't deny someone their rights and expect God not to notice. You can't do anything unless God lets you. God brings good and bad. We can't complain if he punishes our sin.

Let's repent entirely. Let us accept that God has trampled us underfoot. I will cry until God notices.

I remember being thrown into the pit. It thought I was dead, but I called to God, and he saved me. You've seen my enemies, God. Repay them for their sins.

Key verses:
22-23. Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

My thoughts:

It is important to know that God is loving and just and compassionate, even in to midst of sin and suffering.

The recalled experience of the pit could be referring to when Jeremiah was cast into the cistern, if the traditional connection is maintained.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home