My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Monday, February 12, 2007

Ezekiel 16

Allegoriricious

Summary:
God gave this message to Jerusalem:
You're a mungrel, and were rejected at birth. But I, God, saw you, and decided that you should live. You grew beautiful and we got married. You were a beautiful queen and I gave you beautiful jewellery. But you knew you were beautiful and famous, and used that to be a prostitute. You turned my jewellery into idols. You sacrificed our children. I decreased your power, but you continued. You even pay your men for your prostitution! For this, I'll give you into the hands of all your lovers and they will destroy you and all you find precious.

Your mother was bad, but you are worse. Sodom and Samaria are more righteous than you. But you will all be restored. You will get what you deserve, but I won't forget my everlasting covenant.

Key verse:
6. Then I passed by and saw you kicking about in your blood, and as you lay there in your blood I said to you, "Live!"

My thoughts:
This is an allegory. God's marriage to Jerusalem symbolises the covenant he made with them, and Jerusalem's prostitution was her alliances to other gods and nations.

I thought this was the one with the two sisters both starting with O, Othaliah and Othah or something. I can't quite remember. That must be somewhere else.

I quite like this chapter. Once someone randomly quoted a verse to me, and I correctly guessed that it was from this chapter. They were amazed. I was like "That's probably from, like, Ezekiel 16 or something". It was awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home