My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ezekiel 17

Two birds

Summary:
God told Ezekiel to tell Israel a story about birds. A big bird took the top of a tree of Lebanon and planted it among traders. The bird took seed from Israel and planted in and it became a fruitful vine. The vine was planted by heaps of water, but the vine saw another bird, and tried to grow towards it. Why would it grow away from its water?

The point is, you can only survive by depending on Babylon who has dominated you. Don't go running to Egypt as you have. The king who makes such a decision will die.

God himself will take a branch and plant it in Israel, and it will be fruitful.

Key verse:
22. I the Lord have spoken, and I will do it.

My thoughts:
What a strange image. I don't think I quite get it. Why does it have to be birds? Do they provide water? At this stage, God is trying to repress any desire of Israel to get their own independence back by allying with Egypt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home