My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hosea 1

I will chop her into messes: cuckold me!

Summary:
Hosea was a prophet during Uzziah and Hezekiah's reigns. God told him to marry a prostitute, Gomer. They had a son who God told him to call Jezreel, because Jehu would be punished for his massacre there. They had two more kids who God told them to call "Unloved" and "Not my people" cos that's what Israel had become to God.

But though they are not God's people now, they will become his sons.

Key verse:
10. In the place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called 'sons of the living God.'

My thoughts:
Ah, good ol' Hosea. Famous because God forced him to be a cuckold and to give his kids retarded names. Following God doesn't usually make you life nice and comfortable, despite what many churches try to sell.

Like in Ezekiel, God is using a physical reality to point to a spiritual reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home