My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Amos 3

The purpose-driven destruction

Summary:
I chose you alone, Israel. Everything has a purpose, as set by me, God. God will bring the Philistines and the Egyptians against Samaria and show them Samaria's sin. Imagine someone being eaten by a lions but then someone comes and pulls out a bone or two from the lions jaw. That's what will be left of Israel and Samaria. But the foreign altars will be destroyed with it, which is good.

Key verse:
7. Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing
without revealing his plan
to his servants the prophets.

My thoughts:
It's quite interesting having the focus on the North rather than the South. Samaria is to Israel as Jerusalem is to Judah. This must express quite early traditions as the North became quite irrelevant after about 700BCE. To a certain extent anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home