My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, April 21, 2007

Amos 7

Amos the shepherd

Summary:
Amos saw God planning to strip Israel clean with locusts. But it didn't happen. He planned fire from heaven. But it didn't happen. But now God is measuring to see whether Israel stands up, and this time they won't be spared.

Amaziah, the priest at Bethel, told the king that Amos was conspiring against him. Amaziah told Amos to go back to Judah. Amos replied that he wasn't a prophet, but just a shepherd who God had called. So Amaziah's life got ruined.

Key verse:
15. But the Lord took me from tending the flock and said to me, 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'

My thoughts:
So being a prophet in those days was an occupation, and that wasn't Amos' occupation. God has always moved in people despite their backgrounds and statuses. God is the God of ordinary people. It is through ordinary people that he moves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home