My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Friday, April 06, 2007

Hosea 6

If you sin, life sucks. Guess what. You've sinned.

Summary:
Don't be happy, Israel, because you disobeyed and are going to starve. You will be exiled and unable to practise your faith. You think that the prophet who watches over you is a madman. Israel was like nice fruit, but has now defiled herself. Ephraim will have no children.

Key verse:
17. My God will reject them
because they have not obeyed him;
they will be wanderers among the nations.

My thoughts:
When I read this, I wonder whether it would be better for someone to be born outside of Israel so that the expectation on them was much less. You wouldn't constantly have a God on your back bringing you unhappiness when you sin.

But then I think of it as parenthood. You could have a parent who doesn't discipline you and teach you what is right, and though you'd be able to do what you want you would never grow to become a good well-balanced person. A good parent will discipline you, but sometimes it is hard to see the rewards in spiritual terms because the 'benefits' may not happen in this life. As society becomes more secular (focused on 'this world'), it becomes harder to hold on to promises which only seem to exist in the other world. But I truly believe that pure secularism, the focus on 'this world' as the only truly important thing, is a myth that has sucked many people in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home