My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, April 26, 2007

Jonah 2

Jonah's prayer

Summary:
Jonah prayed in the fish.

God heard my cries! I have been thrown into the sea. I thought I was gone for good! But you brought me back as my prayers went to your temple. Idols are useless. You are my salvation.

So God made the fish vomit Jonah up.

Key verse:
7. When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, Lord,
and my prayer rose to you,
to your holy temple.

My thoughts:
This has an interesting view of the temple as the destination of prayers. This perhaps shows some development in the understanding of prayer in ancient Hebrew religion.

By the way, Nineveh was a very important city at this time of the Near Middle East.

Anyway there's plenty of discussion on the intertubes about whether someone could actually survive being swallowed by a big fish. Some people point to possible example of this. But if it's possible, then how would it be a miracle? People who say the Bible is wrong because it contains things which scientifically can't happen are just being dumb, because the whole point of a miracle is that it goes against the natural order of things. Similarly Christians who try to defend the more extreme stories by explaining how they could've happened are dumb. That defeats the point of a miracle. I believe in a miraculous God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home