My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, May 03, 2007

Micah 5

Bethlehemi ruler

Summary:
Israel will be oppressed until the ruler from Bethlehem comes. With God's strength, he will look after his people.

Seven or eight leaders will deliver us against Assyria. Israel's remnant will be like an uncontrollable lion. In that day God will destroy all the armies cities and bad religious stuff of Israel.

Key verse:
2. But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.

My thoughts:
OMGosh... Jesus!!!!

Of course, as Bethlehem is the town of David, the original meaning would have referred to that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't also refer to Jesus' coming.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Lewis Carroll said...

Pete:
Of course, as Bethlehem is the town of David, the original meaning would have referred to that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't also refer to Jesus' coming.

Lewis Carroll:
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them - particularly verbs: they're the proudest - adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs - however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me, please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.

1:56 pm

 
Anonymous Deane said...

I'm with you, Humpty.

1:59 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

It must be true... It's in Alice in Wonderland...

'which is to be master' indeed. Which is to be master?

10:29 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home