My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, May 27, 2007

Zechariah 11

Good and bad shepherds

Summary:
Lebanon and Jordan and their forests will be ruined.

Your leaders are like shepherds! All they want is to send you into the slaughterhouse to make some money. So God became the shepherd of the flock destined for death and gave them favour and unity. But the flock hated God, so he took away the favour. God, as shepherd was paid 30 silver pieces, which he threw to the potter. He also took away the unity, so Judah and Israel were separated. A bad shepherd then took over.

Key verse:
12. I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it." So they paid me thirty pieces of silver.

My thoughts:
OMGosh! Judas!

Well maybe. It could just be a generically, commonly used amount of pay for a short term job. Why does God throw it to the potter? Does that mean more than it seems?

Anyway, this is a cool little image of God striving to take care of those destined for death (ie. us).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home