My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, June 07, 2007

Matthew 4

Tempting and healing

Summary:
The Spirit then took Jesus into the desert where he fasted, but was tempted by Satan to eat food and rule the world and test God. But Jesus resisted using scripture.

Jesus began preaching the Kingdom of God in Zebulun and Naphtali. He called Peter, Andrew, James, and John to be his disciples, and they left their jobs immediately to follow Jesus. Jesus healed many in Galilee and drew great crowds.

Key verse:
17. From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."

My thoughts:
Jesus' initial message is clear and perhaps not really unique in his time. But it is his basic message throughout his life. God's kingdom is coming, so sort yourself out.

Anyway, notice that Jesus at this stage really is only hanging out in the back blocks of Judea. He's nowhere special. He's up in the random northern places. No-one in Jerusalem has probably heard of him.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Deane said...

Pete
Anyway, notice that Jesus at this stage really is only hanging out in the back blocks of Judea.

Deane
He's in Galilee. It was an entirely different territory from Judea at the time.

1:15 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Gosh... You seem to get off on picking pointless points.

Yes, I'm sorry. You are right. I hope you realise that I wasn't trying to make a statement about the territorial political borders of first-century Rome.

3:23 pm

 
Blogger Huggies said...

Just fear me, love me, do as I say
and I will be your slave!

--Jareth, the Labyrinth


Yeah, I just thought that was an appropriate random comment to put in here... Not that I'm suggesting that anyone should visualise the devil as David Bowie. Especially not in those tights.

6:33 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Fair enough. I feel that imagining David Bowie in tights would be a much more Messianic experience.

10:24 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home