My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, August 28, 2007

John 18

What is truth?

Summary:
Jesus went to pray, and Judas led his enemies there. They took Jesus away to the Jewish officials. Peter went to chop them, but Jesus told him to stop. This was God's plan.

Jesus told the officials that he had no secrets. Why not ask someone who had listened?

Meanwhile, Peter denied Jesus thrice, and a cock crowed.

They took Jesus to Pilate to have permission to execute. On asking, Jesus said he was the king of another world, and that truth comes from following him. Pilate got all philosophical and wanted to free Jesus, but the Jews were persistent.

Key verse:
37. You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.

My thoughts:
Notice how John is the only gospel who personally mentions who whipped out the sword. All the other gospel writers probably had too much respect for Peter, whereas John, his younger and personal friend, had no problems pointing the finger.

In many ways, John's passion narrative seems more condensed than the others. It's kinda the jist of the charges being laid against him. Pilate has a cool line "What is truth?", which is quite dramatic, but I dunno what he means by it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home