My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, August 09, 2007

Luke 23

Instantaneous resurrection

Summary:
Pilate didn't want to charge him. He was Herod's problem. Herod wanted to see a miracle, but just mocked Jesus and sent him back to his new chum, Pilate. Pilate eventually let Jesus be crucified because the people were so keen.

A Simon carried the cross. Jesus told people not to mourn for him, but for themselves. Things would suck soon. Jesus was hung with criminals, and was mocked. One criminal mocked him, and another felt sorry for him because he was innocent. He got to go to heaven.

So Jesus died and was buried in a tomb.

Key verse:
43. Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

My thoughts:
Luke adds a bunch of stuff Jesus says on the way up the mountain. It's basically judgment on Jerusalem, but I don't remember is anywhere else.

Jesus says that his fellow crucifee will be in heaven shortly after he dies. Some people believe that when you die you go to a halfway house, or hades, until the resurrection of the dead at the end of the age. I don't know what's right, but this verse is used in support of instantaneous resurrection.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

These chapters are way too long...

Re: "paradise" - the NIV text note I have says that it means "the place of bliss and rest between death and resurrection". Is that the same as heaven?

& bits like verses 28-31 of this chapter & the bit a few chapters back when the end of the world got all mixed up with the destruction of Jerusalem make it pretty obvious (to me) that Luke was written after 70AD.

& I'd say Luke is probably less reliable than Matthew & Mark. The whole thing seems too polished & carefully constructed (e.g. in chapter 1 Mary spontaneously bursts into a well-structured hymn when visiting Elizabeth...)

1:40 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

I dunno. Why would that be called paradise? Do we suddenly get forced out of it? Do hellbound people get to hang out there for a couple more millenia?

Luke could well have been written after 70AD. The idea that Jesus predicted the fall of the temple isn't exclusive to Luke though. I suspect that Jesus did in fact say something about the temple being destroyed.

9:06 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home