My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, September 20, 2007

Acts 20

Defenestration

Summary:
So Paul and his posse traveled and preached through Macedonia. In Troas, Paul was giving a boring talk, as is the norm for people called Paul, and a fulla fell asleep and fell out the window. He died on impact, but Paul raised him to life.

Paul fast tracked back to Jerusalem for Pentecost. He bypassed Ephesus, but met their church elders and told them that he thought he was going to prison soon, and wouldn't see them again. But he was sweet with this. He knew he'd done what he needed to do, but he warned them against false teachers. Then he said goodbye.

Key verse:
24. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

My thoughts:
Wow, it's been a long time since I've updated my blog! It's going to be pretty sparse until the 8th, once I finish my exams.

Anyway, how Pauline is that key verse? Leads me to believe that these narrative dialogs might actually be quite accurate representations of what people actually said and did.

This is quite a unique passage in the Acts. It is Paul's charge to a community close to his heart. It is a good model of a parting speech to a Christian community.

And church was still boring in the first century. People were falling asleep during the sermons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home