My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Acts 25

To Caesar!

Summary:
With the new governor, the Jewish officials tried to get him trialled again. They wanted him transfered so they could kill him on the way. In Caesarea, Festus asked Paul to go to the lesser Jerusalem council, but Paul didn't want to be handed over to the Jews, so he appealed to Caesar, and so had to be sent to Rome, but the King wanted to see him first. Festus wanted something to write about Paul to send him away with, because he didn't really understand the whole thing, and didn't see what Paul had done wrong.

Key verse:
11. If, however, I am guilty of doing anything deserving death, I do not refuse to die. But if the charges brought against me by these Jews are not true, no one has the right to hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar!

My thoughts:
Thought Jerusalem was theoretically a lesser court, which could not sentence him to death, Paul would be in more danger if he went there. Paul wanted to go to Rome for his missonary work, and this was one way for him to get there. Paul's life from now on is basically his travelling from court to court, prison to prison, until the Romans start killing the Christians. Anyway, at this stage the authorities just see him as a bizarre man who now has to go to the Supreme Court because, basically, he wanted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home