My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Friday, September 07, 2007

Acts 7

The Blood of the Martyrs

Summary:
When asked to defend himself, Stephen went through Israel's history. Abraham and the patriarchs and how they'd gone to Egypt, how Moses had led them out, and how the tabernacle was closed in a building, though God's presence isn't actually enclosed in a building. Through it all, Israel's people did evil, and they were doing the same now with what they were doing to Jesus and his followers.

So they stoned him. He forgave them. Saul watched.

Key verse:
59. Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

My thoughts:
I include this key verse just because it's a proof against the views of Jehovah's Witnesses who don't pray to Jesus. Here we have a clear as anything Biblical example.

So anyway, here we have the first Christian martyr, and the ominous presence of Saul. Hmmm... foreboding...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

I just had some Jehovah's Witnesses come door-knocking & they gave me some of their Watchtower stuff.

They said they'd come back to discuss things with me some time.

When they do I'll get them to show me Acts 7:59 and John 1:1 in their little JW bible, to see what it says...

let me know if there are any other good verses to hit them with

11:28 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Yea. Use Romans 8 (and other passages) to show that the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Jesus are one in the same.

Also seeing as JWs view Jesus as a kinda lesser God created after Yahweh, it'd be interesting what they say about Isaiah 43:10

John 1:1 will call Jesus a God. For JW, Yahweh is the 'true' God, but other can appropriately called God without that stopping Yahweh being the real God.

Search the web too. That'll have heaps. Realise that JWs are not like Mormons. They are simply people who has subscribed to a screwed up interpretation of the Bible, but their stated goal is to be truly Biblical (like us). I think their main problem is that they don't truly interpret the Bible, they just believe what the Watchtower tells them.

3:37 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home