My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, October 16, 2007

1 Corinthians 2

Dumb words, powerful God

Summary:
Look, I don't sound smart. I don't use big arguments, I just tell of Jesus and how he was crucified, then let's the Spirit's power do the rest. Your faith doesn't depend on me. The wisdom we use is unrecognised on earth. It's a secret wisdom. No-one has known God's plans, but we know through the Spirit. The Spirit alone knows God's thoughts. Without the Spirit we cannot understand, luckily we have Christ's mind.

Key verse:
4. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power

My thoughts:
Paul is saying all this to get rid of the divisions they have. The issue, as Paul sees it, is that they all have different views based on the words and 'wisdom' of different passing Apostles. The Corinthians need to realise that the human words mean nothing, and their faith must be dependant on God and his power alone. I think this is a good principle to practise in evangelism.

As Paul starts talking about secret wisdom, you can start to see where some of the Gnostics got their ideas from. They really liked Paul. Gnostics believed that secret knowledge was the key to salvation, and the knowledge came from revelation through the Christ. Or something along those lines. They believed a lot of other things too. That is, of course, not what Paul is referring to here. The 'secret wisdom' is in fact the widely proclaimed truth of Jesus' sacrifice. The 'secretness' comes in the fact that only those who God allows can truly understand it through the Spirit, or else it is nonsense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home