My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Monday, October 22, 2007

1 Corinthians 8

Stupid knowledge

Summary:
First realise that we must love God rather than know things, but nevertheless know that idols are nothing, and there is one true God. It doesn't matter, then, whether we eat food sacrificed to idols. But some people don't have that knowledge and their faith will stumble if they see us eating. Don't let your knowledge cause others to stumble.

Key verse:
11. So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.

My thoughts:
Knowledge is okay, but it breeds arrogance, and if it is misused it can destroy others.

An example could be that some Christians will hold passionately to a seven-day creationism. I would believe, perhaps, that I have enough knowledge to know that there are other ways to understand Genesis 1-3. But if I have no desire to shatter someone's faith by saying that I don't think that seven-day creationism is necessarily correct, because it's not really important. There are few reasons to do it, and many reasons why not to.I must stress, however, that I wouldn't want to take this too far. I know plenty of people who would express so-called 'knowledge' of the Bible which leads them to believe that it is entirely inappropriate for basing one's life on. They may see my statement above as a reason to permit me in my lack of knowledge to go around living by the Bible and that's okay, wrong though it is. That isn't right, because your 'knowledge' may not be correct in the first place, and that's a whole other question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home