My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, October 23, 2007

1 Corinthians 9

Everything we can

Summary:
I am your Apostle. I've seen Jesus, and I made you. I'm free to work or not work, marry or stay single. Don't I deserve some provision for my work as an Apostle? Anyone else would. Most people intend to share their harvest.

We deserved something from you, but whether we got it or not, we still were determined to give you the Gospel.

But I don't demand what I deserve, I quite enjoy boasting about that! It's simply much more important that I preach teh Gospel.

I use my freedom to win more people. I am anyone to anyone. It's like we're in a race. We have to train and do everything we can to win.

Key verses:
14. In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.
19. Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

My thoughts:
So... yea... verse 14. I have a friend who believes that no-one should be employed as a minister. Paul here (admittedly in the context of being content not to receive payment) says that full time ministers should live off it. So screw you, Tim. Screw you.

Paul seems to be having a bit of a cry about the fact that he doesn't get paid, though he seems to enjoy the ability to moan about it, without really feeling the need to be paid. I sense that many serious church volunteers may feel a similar way!

Anyway, the point I mostly get out of this chapter is that we shouldn't be scared to be really practical and deliberate in how we do evangelism. We can plan how we approach people purely for the purpose of getting them saved. It truly is a high purpose to call people to, so we shouldn't be scared about being shrewd to see it happen. Most Christians who are hesitant to share the Gospel are that way because they don't truly believe that it's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home