My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Monday, October 08, 2007

Romans 10

Preach it!

Summary:
I want the Jews to be saved, but they just don’t know. Faith is different. You can be saved if you confess and believe. It’s a matter of your heart and your mouth. There’s no difference between Jews and non-Jews.


But they can’t believe if no-one tells them! Faith comes from hearing, and they have heard, but some still don’t believe.

Key verses:
9. if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved
14. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?


My thoughts:
I don’t understand verses 5-8. They are officially weird. So faith doesn’t try to guess people’s destinies? Fair enough, I guess!


Anyway, Paul’s point here is that the Jews need to be preached to so that they come to God with faith in Jesus.

2 Comments:

Blogger Huggies said...

Interesting. Would you say there is a modern equivalent / similar situation with Christian peeps?

I guess we do push God away by sticking to our "law"...the law of how it's always been.

Not that I'm saying change for the sake of change is good either.

I think if I lived in Jesus' time, I would be a Jew, not a Gentile. I'd be a kick-ass Jew... cos I like rules so much and I don't eat pig meat... but probably not a very good disciple. And Jesus would probably have pissed me off quite a bit.

Sigh. Guess I'm gonna have to do some more work for my bible study thing cos your summary doesn't have all the answers. Ah well. At least I'm not trying to cut up or burn it the bible anymore.

7:03 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Well, yes, that is good.

The Bible is awesome.

And yes, my comments weren't that helpful! A similar situation today? Maybe the relationship between the church and the move of the Holy Spirit. God does a new thing, but the old people he came to touch often just ignore it.

You'd make an awesome 1st century Jewess.

9:41 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home