My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, December 11, 2007

1 Timothy 1

Worst of all

Summary:
Hi Tim. Stay in Ephesus and show them that myths about ancestors etc. have little place in the Gospel. People are building a lot of pride on them and on trying to teach the law. The law is for lawbreakers, not for us.

I thank Jesus for saving me when I was a blasphemers. Jesus came for sinners, including me who's probably the worst! God did that to show that anyone can be saved.

Keep the faith, according to the prophecies about you. Some, as you know have become our enemies.

Key verse:
15. Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

My thoughts:
It seems to me there that had grown almost a level of competition regarding great 'biblical' stories or genealogies one could recite. This 'teaching' of scripture seemed to have become such a big deal that Paul had to step in to correct is, as is was being done in a very wrong way and a lot of pride seemed to be involved.

This key verse is just cool. As I've been talking to people with Eastern beliefs I've come to realise how much humility follower of Jesus must have when they come to God. In Eastern spirituality, at the true and pure heart of yourself you find God. In Jesus, when you look at the true and unchanged heart of yourself you find sin, and then you must go to God. It's quite a fundamental difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home