My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Friday, November 09, 2007

2 Corinthians 10

Captivating thoughts

Summary:
I'm known as being timid in person, and harsh from a distance, and hopefully I don't have to be too harsh to some people when I visit. We need to realise that we don't fight like the world. We have spiritual weapons and authority, even over our own thoughts. Don't underestimate us. We are within Christ too, and strong words can translate to strong actions.

We only boast within reason. We want your faith to grow, so that we can preach into your regions. Boasting about yourself doesn't mean much

Key verse:
5. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

My thoughts:
Paul seems to love the words 'boast' and 'commend'. Due to my limited understanding of what Paul's means when he says these things, I find verses 12-17 very difficult to understand.

I think the picture of Paul you get when reading his letter is different to how he would come across in real life. I wouldn't suggest taking Paul's writings as an excuse to be an arrogant prick in real life! It appears that he was much more forgiving and 'timid' in person.

Anyway, I love this key verse. It reminds us that our obedience goes beyond just our actions, but pervades deep into our thought life. I love the strong language it uses. It doesn't say "We don't think bad thoughts"; it says "we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ". It's quite a discipline, but it's quite a vital one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deane said...

Try the book, "Where is Boasting?" by Simon Gathercole. It's a good refutation of the so-called "New Perspective on Paul", too, which is a good thing.

7:16 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Cool. Awesome. Could be interesting. Which side will I agree with?

5:44 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home