My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, November 10, 2007

2 Corinthians 11

Paul the best boaster

Summary:
Ok, this might be a bit of a silly analogy, but I'm scared that though you are innocent like Eve, you are also easily deceived like her! Don't accept other gospels of these flashy new 'apostles'. I may not have the flash, but I'm not inferior. I didn't even ask for support! I practically robbed the other churches so I could minister to you without being a burden. Just because they look like apostles, doesn't mean they are. Satan can look quite lovely sometimes!

You don't have to put up with fools and people who hurt you, you know! They sure like to boast, and if you let me be like them for a bit, then realise that I too can boast! I've got the right blood, had the right punishments for Jesus. I'm a much better servant! I've been stoned, beaten, shipwrecked multiple times, in danger everywhere.

But I'll boast of the things that make me look pathetic.

Key verse:
14. Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

My thoughts:
This verse was important to me when I was about 14, but I can't really remember why. Someone wrote it down for me on a camp. Anyway, it's good to know that looks can deceive.

These 'super-apostles' can perhaps be compared to some modern-day personality 'cult' leaders. They appear to boast a lot and put on a pretty good show, and they seem to have had some influence. What Paul is doing here is explaining that just because he doesn't boast and maybe doesn't look so good, it doesn't mean he's not secretly awesome and better than those so-called apostles.

It's quite fun/impressive going through Paul's list of troubles and trying to match it up to Acts. It adds a bit to the life of the historical Paul. Acts only tells of one shipwreck though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home