My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, November 01, 2007

2 Corinthians 2

A wedge driving through people

Summary:
So I won't visit you, so you can remain my feel good friends, to remember when I'm depressed.

Oh, that guy who I told you to cast out, you were obedient to me but now you can forgive him if you want, and I will too. We don't want Satan to win here!

I'm stoked that wherever I go, I smell like God. Some people smell that as death, others as life.

Key verse:
14. thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.

My thoughts:
I once heard Jesus described not so much as the Saviour of all, but as a wedge. A wedge which pushed those who are sitting on the fence onto the side they were leaning on anyway. Paul here is explaining that to him, having the fragrance of God mean death for some and life for others.

It's quite a cool image really; we are bearers of God's fragrance. We carry his scent. I've never really properly encountered this wee passage before. It's very cool.

Anywho, Paul here gives forgiveness to the sinner of 1 Corinthians 5, which gives a good context to that chapter, and perhaps speaks a bit about what Paul means when he makes some pretty 'absolute' sounding statements.

This is obviously written by Paul later, and he seems more depressed and stressed than before. He must be getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home