My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Sunday, November 04, 2007

2 Corinthians 5

Hillsong United

Summary:
Things are hard here in this earthly body, and we're waiting for a heavenly body. That's coming. His Spirit is a downpayment. We have a promise! So we live for what's coming, not for what is. So we live to please God.

We need to push people to see beyond what is before their eyes right now; that which is clear to us and God. In fact, we will appear dead, because we don't live for ourselves anymore, but for Jesus who died for us. So we have a message of restoration. People are becoming completely new people when they come to God. We must be God's ambassadors.

Key verse:
7. We live by faith, not by sight.
21. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

My thoughts:
I went to The Street (which has no name) on Sunday morning. It was fine, but they sang 'The Stand', which as you know goes:

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned...

But they sang, and put up words saying

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart so thankful...

Dumb aye? Obviously they changed the words because they didn't think it was theologically correct to abandon one's heart (to God). I think they're just thinking to hard, and that doing this is retarded. If they really disagree, then they shouldn't sing the song. But they just shouldn't disagree. I think saying that you abandon yourself to God in worship is a perfectly fine expression for what we do. I also know of people who won't sing the "You give and take away" parts of 'Blessed be your Name', because their God (probably Allah or someone) doesn't take away.

Why am I talking about this? Because there's a line in the song "One way", which goes "You are the way, the truth and the life, I live by faith and not by sight...", and I always thought that though it was good to walk by faith, we still had to walk by sight too. Then I read this verse and was somewhat humbled.

The point is, worship songwriters are probably smarter than you. Our whole life is focussed on something we can't see. Now that's faith. We gotta have it. Sometimes we need to trust God more than we trust ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home