My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Galatians 2

Foolish Peter

Summary:
Ages later I talked to those considered leaders in Jerusalem, and they didn't want me to change anything in my message. They agreed that I had been sent to the Gentiles, and only asked that I remember the poor, which I do.

I confronted Peter, in fact, because he was eating with Gentiles until James turned up, and he started eating only with Jews. We're not saved by acts, and I questioned Peter on making Gentiles follow Jewish customs. Jesus makes us alive whilst we are dead. It's not so much that Jesus supports death, but that in order for one to be made alive, one must first be dead! I am dead so that I can live.

Key verse:
20. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

My thoughts:
Paul is seemingly dismissive of the Apostles. He just seems unfazed by it all. They are just the ones everyone considers the leaders. He is only telling of these encounters because the Galatians consider them leaders. Paul's message is from God and doesn't necessarily need the support of other leaders, but it does have that support and Paul shares this for the Galatians' benefit.

Paul shows this more by showing that he was teaching the Apostles, not the other way around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home