My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Philippians 3

God's swears

Summary:
Don't base anything on your body or background. Neither circumcision nor heritage nor education count. We live by the Spirit, not by our qualifications. All our qualifications are crap compared to knowing Jesus. My righteousness comes from faith. I want to share in who Jesus is so I can somehow sneak into his share of resurrection. Yus!

Don't think I've figured it all out! I haven't. I just push forward to win as hard as possible without looking back. Follow my example. Many are against us, focussed only on earth, but we come from heaven awaiting Jesus' return.

Key verse:
8. I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ

My thoughts:
So the word for rubbish is probably better translated as crap. Or Scheisse. I get a sense that it is slightly less 'offensive' than the word shit, but it is still a somewhat crass word for poos. Good times.

Paul's making an important point that everything that we might think we could be proud about is actually pathetic and weakening compared to what Jesus gives us. It is loss to us, because it tempts us to depend on it, rather than on Jesus

Pushing forward is cool, but not looking back is cooler. Don't let your past define your future!

4 Comments:

Blogger Deane said...

Bullshit! I think 'skubalon' is much more vulgar and shocking than 'crap'--if you're after a scatological dynamic equivalent. The old lexicons are a bit prudish in their translations. Watch out for prudes, Pete.

My favourite verse in Paul's letters is Gal 5.12. That's telling those circumcisers what to do!

12:22 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

You wouldn't be tempted to make something more shocking because it's more interesting and provocative would you? Read this if you want.

Gal 5:12 is pretty sweet indeed.

10:28 pm

 
Blogger Deane said...

Hmmmmm... I now can't remember the reasons why I settled on "bullshit" as the better translation, so after reading what you referred me too, maybe I'll recant and settle on "crap".

3:15 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

yus!

5:39 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home